Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Music


       What is this sensation we call “music"? According to my Oxford dictionary it is one of the arts of the Greek Muses, the one which is concerned with the combination of sounds with a view to beauty of form and the expression of  thought or feelings; also, the science of the laws or principles by which this art is regulated. So much for  inspiring words of the dictionary. It is amazing that from such a dry explanation can spring such a plethora of research into the influence of music onto the human soul or spirit. This influence can stretch from the hymn-singing parishioner to politics in Israel or Nazi Germany. When I hear even just the beginnings of a composition of Richard Wagner I immediately think of the Nazis. But not because I associate the music with the Holocaust.
          I remember having to  sit through boring hours listening  to records of the opera The Meistersinger, including very boring lecturing by our well meaning music teacher. But that was not enough: he also described  the person of the great master, the composer Richard Wagner. How he always had to wear his velvet cap while working. How he could not work unless his heavy velvet drapes were closed and other such details concerning  his personal habits. To this day I shudder just to think of that man. To me then and to this day I think of pomp when hearing even just strains of his music. Having been raised to the delicate sounds of music of  an earlier period this dislike is probably quite understandable. Though my attempts to learn more about Wagner’s music were not helped by having to stand through the entire first Act of the opera Lohengrin because I was a minute late and the doors had closed. The usher would not let me go to my seat. The music, to my ears, was excruciatingly long-winded and my hurting feet did not help my willingness to learn about this, to many people, so admired composer and his music.
             On and off over the years I would make a somewhat critical remark to a conductor friend who invariably corrected me in telling me how important Wagner’s music was. Since these men were  accomplished and sometimes even famous musicians I have accepted the fact that Wagner’s music is important, but just not for me.
          But what now about those Israelis who are upset that the conductor of the  multi-ethnic  West-Eastern –Divan orchestra which consists of young Jews, Muslims and Christians, Daniel Barenboim, wants to play Wagner in Israel?  Barenboim thinks that Wagner is too important a composer in spite of the fact that he was a raving  anti-semite, not to be performed. Clearly this is not a controversy easily resolved. I can fully understand the sentiments of those Jews who object to Wagner’s music being played in Israel. On the other hand I find Barenboim’s explanation and aim to build bridges inspiring and commendable.
         This is just one example which shows, in a very blunt way, how music can influence the sensibilities and psyches of beings and not just us humans. Animals too, react to the strains of music, though I doubt they would appreciate the importance of the musical output of Richard Wagner.         

No comments:

Post a Comment