Friday, June 1, 2012

Nazi years part II

 Until we moved into the new apartment I had never seen people with the Star of David  on their coats. Hitler had ordered  so-called  Full-Jews to be identified in this way. Neither was it advisable to associate with them. In spite of these restrictions I went across the street and introduced myself to two the two girls who were playing hop-scotch. They were polite but shy and let me join the game. A few minutes after we had started their parents appeared at thefront door of the apartment building and called them inside. When I told my mother of this incident she explained that it was equally dangerous and forbidden for either of us to form a relationship.
       It was ordered that one had to greet with Heil Hitler when entering a store. We never did. If a store-owner or clerk admonished us: ”Here we greet with Heil Hitler!” We never went in again no matter how badly we wanted a sorely needed item. And then there was the woman who ran the green-grocer’s store. Whenever a very badly handicapped Jewish boy from our street limped into her store she would invariably call him ahead of every-body so that he could limp home sooner. Once, when there was nobody in the store I asked her where she got the courage and she huffed: "They should  dare say something to me. I have six brothers on the front, I have done by duty!”  have never forgotten her and was delighted to meet her again after the war in at my father’s green-grocer’s out in the suburb.
        One sunny day,coming home from school, I was walking absentmindedly along the rail embankment  to my left, vaguely noticing a freight-train standing above. Such trains rarly stopped there and if, then only a few minutes. The walk from the station exit to the intersection at which I would have to cross,is quite long and  whatever kind of train would stop above would long have moved on before I reached my crossing. I had to pay close attention to traffic, looking mostly left and straight ahead.When I had almost reached the other side I became aware of a small group of people huddled together with suitcases and bundles at their feet, not talking. In front of the group were the two girls from  my street. The group was being guarded by several females swinging clubs, ready to pounce if necessary.The school in front of which they stood was closed, behind them are the University grounds, in other words there is no everyday foot traffic. It now became clear to me that the freight train standing on the embankment was waiting for them.
        At home, my mother was sitting on the porch with one of her publishers who was a Swiss  citizen and therefore had better access to current news. They both looked very serious and knew about the transport but assured me that nothing could be done.
         We did know, that our phone was tapped and my mother knew that her mail was being  opened. In other words, we were under constant surveillance. All of our acquaintances had something “wrong” with them. Either one in the family was partly Jewish therefore could go certain places but I don’t remember what it was they were not able to do. I think my piano teacher, who was married to a Jew, was not allowed to teach but did anyway. In other words, I was surrounded by “Antis”and felt totally at home in that environment. Could we have done something? I once, after Hitler had marched into Austria, dreamt of  killing  him. I think I was about fourteen years old. But I couldn’t figure  out how to get near him. So I was certainly no heroine, nor was I a Nazi...

No comments:

Post a Comment